My issue this Monday: Tim Russert, Rest in Peace

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-russert16-2008jun16,0,877488.story

I was one of the "lucky ones" who got to shake Tim Russert's hand a couple of years ago when he was doing a book-signing here at the State Street Borders Bookstore. Tim's volume The Wisdom of our Fathers had just been released, and I was downtown for some reason that Tuesday afternoon. I saw a sign saying he would be in the store, and I got to meet him, and say hello for less than one minute. It was the highlight of my day! And probably for that week, and month too! I got to meet "THE MAN" from the best political news show on television, MEET THE PRESS. Now "that" was something to talk about!

Tim Russert left this earthly life on Friday, June 13, 2008. This caused shock and grief all over the country, and probably around the globe. I was just logging on to the internet, when my friend Joe Misek (www.joemisek.blogspot.com) called, and as soon as I answered my cell phone, I said, "I know, I'm reading it...I'm trying not to cry."

Even though I didn't have a "vibrant relationship" with Mr Russert, I feel like I've lost a friend. Let me explain:

I am a sound sleeper (well about 99% of the time, anyway). And I'm almost always in Sunday Morning worship on the Lord's Day. So, I try to get myself up around 2 a.m. on Monday morning, stumble into the living room, and watch the reruns of MEET THE PRESS. I liked the show, and particularly Tim Russert's style, that much!

This morning was no different....except, "my friend" wasn't there. Alot of his "real friends" were sitting there, telling me--telling the world--wha a marvelous man had just left his stamp on this life, and what a loss we are experiencing. Even though moderator Tom Brokaw put a moratorium on crying, he didn't see me shedding tears on my sofa in the wee hours of this morning...

For Big Russ, Maureen, and Luke, we are praying for you. God's know the loss you are experiencing, and He really does care for you.

I don't know what else to say...but MEET THE PRESS will never be the same without Tim.

No comments: