Book Review: The Audacity of Hope

The Junior Senator from Illinois, Barack OBama has completed a second book, and it's substantial. I picked it up at O'Hare International Airport last Wednesday while awaiting my flight to Lexington, Kentucky for the Thanksgiving holidays.

It was money well spent.

The chapters are listed as:

Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Values
Chapter 3: Our Constitution
Chapter 4: Politics
Chapter 5: Opportunity
Chapter 6: Faith
Chapter 7: Race
Chapter 8: The World Beyond Our Borders
Chapter 9: Family

Since I left my copy at home (I'm typing this review at the office), I will work from my memory of what I read--what I was impressed with, and what I was not impressed with.

Senator Obama did a marvelous job in presenting many sides of the main issues that he addressed. As a Democratic Senator, he wrote this book long before the "take over" that occurred in the recent midterm elections. He spoke from one who has served in the "minority" status in the United States Senate.

But he still spoke very eloquently and graciously about some of the major issues facing this great nation of ours.

I was most impressed with the chapters on faith, values, opportunity, and family. His story about meeting the legendary Robert Byrd, Senator from West Virginia, almost brought tears to my eyes. I have tremendous respect for Senator Byrd's longevity, integrity, and willingness to do what is right, regardless of public outcry.

Senator Obama's telling of his own faith journey was particularly inspiring and informative in many ways. He is a member and regular attender of Trinity United Church of Christ, in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago's near South Side. His faith is important to him, his wife, and their lovely daughters. Even though he grew up with a skeptical mother, he found God to be vital and real in his own life's journey. That was particularly heartwarming for me.

His recounting of the romance he has with his wife Michelle was particularly engaging and inspiring to me, and it will be to everyone who reads this portion of a very well-written book. Michelle has been the "stabilizer" and the voice of reason in this man's life. That, according to Obama, has made a tremendous difference for him. I remember when he won the Senate seat in November 2004, that he immediately made a commitment to being a husband and father--and then a United States Senator, in that order. I have tremendous respect for his courage to make such a commitment a public statement.

I was less inspired with his chapter on "race." He speaks from the viewpoint of Chicago's South Side. Anyone who has ever been on the "south side" realizes that poverty is in full bloom, and that many, many have been left behind in this "boom economy." It was true in the Clinton days of wealth and prosperity. It is still true in these days as well. In my opinion, Senator Obama almost congratulates and rewards the "victim mentality"--particularly of the poor blacks in the aforementioned area of the city.

He didn't address all (or any) of the successful "black" stories that have come out of Chicago's South Side. He didn't address the "rightness" of what Bill Cosby and other black spokespersons have vocalized over the last several years. I wonder why? I'm sure that other readers of Audacity wonders the same thing. At least I've put my questions in print.

His views of the Mexican immigrants are noteworthy, in that he is painfully aware of their current and potential future effects on this nation, if the situation isn't remedied, and that very quickly. Maybe he can help lead the Senate into effect and meaningful legislation on immigration reform. Lord knows, someone needs to do so.

Overall, the book is tremendous, and will be a good reference. Senator Obama does a magnificent job of presenting the issues, and giving enough information where the reading public can see more than just "one" side of some serious concerns that will affect every American, and Americans for many generations to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil,
For me Barack OBama is a breath of fresh air in politics. The first time I ever saw/heard him was when he gave the Keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in 2004, it sent chills down my spine and brought tears to my eyes, no politician has ever done that to me before. He is eloquent and sincere.
Illinois is lucky to have him as a senator. Hopefully, someday, he will become President.
I have not read this book but I plan to. Thanks for the review.

P.S. Cubs or White Sox?

Anonymous said...

Hope you made out ok after that nasty weather you got.