My favorite Christmas Song...

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet, the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on earth", I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till ringing, singing, on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

- Words by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1864.
- Music by J. Baptiste Calkin, 1872.
************************************************************
And when I hear the bells on Christmas Day, I'll remember that "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep." I'll remember that regardless of what has gone "wrong" in 2004 that HE is indeed full of mercy, tender compassions, and that His love knows no limit, and His grace knows no measure.

I'll remember that regardless of the heartaches of this year (and there have been plenty) that the tiny Baby born in Bethlehem's manger is still the Healer of wounded hearts and shattered dreams. He is the "heart-mender" and the "mind-regulator" (to quote a Negro spiritual from my childhood), and nothing that happens will ever escape His watchful eyes.

No disappointment or disillusionment
No wounds, scars, or conflicts.
No misunderstanding, rumors, tale-bearing, nor idle gossip.

He has experienced it all. And He sees it all.

May there be "goodwill toward men" in the name of that Blessed Baby born in Bethlehem so many years ago.


No comments: