26. I am thankful for TECHNOLOGY....

It seems like modern technology is coming on the scene at an "earth-shattering" pace...I was planning to use the word "warp"--but I'm not sure what "warp" (in this context, at least) would mean. It seems like yesterday that "personal computers" were becoming all the "rage." And now, people carry their "personal computer" (aka iPhone) in their front pockets....

WOW.
I remember my first encounter with a personal computer. I was active duty in the United States Air Force, stationed at Beale AFB, California. The office where I worked had just received a large "workstation" whereby we could input information and transmit it to the agency's headquarters in San Antonio, Texas. This was approximately 1988. Or it could have been 1989.

I thought I was "hot stuff"--because I was learning to use this "workstation"...I'd no longer be sentenced to do all that "paperwork" by hand...I could just do it on the "workstation." That was the "ticket"....the secret of my success...the blessed workstation.

Fast forward a year or so...and I'm being relocated to KunSan Air Base, South Korea....and back to doing "everything by hand" once again. NO workstation????? WHAT KIND OF PLACE is this? But I "re-learned" to do everything by hand...

Fast forward to January, 1991, and once again I move...this time to Oslo, Norway to AFNORTH (Allied Forces, Northern Europe), and again, everything was done by hand. However, we did have one very small "computer" in the office---and I was one of the few people who knew how to use it.

So, I'm very thankful for all the advances we've made in technology. And this includes ALL technology, not just computers. I'm thankful for medical technology, particularly.

God bless all of these SMART people who are far more brilliant than I could ever hope to be.

No comments: