48. I am thankful for SNOW

Well, the weatherpersons (wanting to be inclusive here---something I learned in seminary) warned us that we would have snow on the ground before daybreak....between 4 and 8 inches...

Right now, there MIGHT be half an inch on the ground in front of my apartment door---but the "day" hasn't broken yet...and it's only 3:43 a.m. Central Time.

The first big "snow" that I really remember was when I was a teenager---I can remember so many things from my childhood (pre-teenager years), but I can't remember the snow, even though I'm sure we had some, even in north Alabama--and it was on a Sunday morning. We had LOTS of snow that day....lots and lots of it. So much, that our Sunday morning services at the Virginia Boulevard Church of God were cancelled....I stayed home and read the Psalms.

I remember more than one snow storm during my college days in Cleveland TN...getting to and from the cafeteria (well, a MAN's gotta do what a Man's gotta do---EAT) was always the adventure, whether it was up and day the hill or across the streets...but one's hunger was always a strong motivator to "buck it up and get to travelin'...." I didn't injure anyting beyond repair, and I didn't starve, most of the time. I grew to intensely DISLIKE peanut butter and jelly sandwiches during those years....back then college food was a very poorly written "mystery" to most people, including those responsible for repairing and serving such a "mystery"...this was not what the Apostle Paul had in mind when he spoke of "Christ and the church..." No local church could be THAT bad...

Then came ten years in the United States Air Force...living in California--where the Sacramento Valley saw it's first snowfall in almost 70 years....and it didn't even stick to the ground---but it sure made the headlines...

And Denver, Colorado--where we would have rain, sleet, snow, and 80 degrees all in the space of 24 hours---I can tell you the time, and take you to the place...I'm not kidding either.

Then Kunsan Air Base, South Korea where the natives LOVED the snow...They would get green golf balls and go play in the stuff....

Then on to Oslo, Norway where the local GRIEVED over the "lack of snow." I must admit Norwegian snow was the prettiest white blankets I've ever seen. It was just magical....absolutely magical. The "hills were alive" with the beautiful snow coverings...the entire country seem to just "wake up" when the snow started falling. But then again, I'm wondering if some of the Norwegians ever went to bed....

I had a very rude awakening on the Wednesday after the November election day in 1992...I moved from Oslo, Norway to Lubbock, Texas (only the AIR FORCE could have hatched up such a scheme) and that very weekend, we had SNOW....I thought I was moving to TEXAS where it would be warm....how wrong I was...well at least for the next few months....I was sadly mistaken...it was COLDER than cold....

Returning to Cleveland, TN for seminary, I was once again greeted by some snow...and in February 1998, a virtual BLIZZARD...well for Tennesseans, it was a blizzard. It was the first day of the Spring semester (February), and it was snowing to beat the band....no one had expected it, and I can't remember the forecasters warning us of the blankets that were going to fall from heaven....but it was snowy. I was working at the hospital at the time, and got a call to come in, if I possibly could....and sure, I could use the overtime pay...

Then I moved to Chicago....my domicile for the last 10.5 years...I've seen lots of snow here...actually, I don't mind....except when it snows in May---like it did in 2002. Someone had bought a billboard downtown (after an unexpected 3 inches fell on the ground) that read, "Will someone turn that GLOBAL WARMING thing on?"

I was on the city bus when I saw this...I laughed out loud, and then called Hollis Gause (my great, great friend) and asked him why he bought a billboard space in Chicago? He swore that he didn't do it..(well, he didn't swear, but he strongly affirmed...)

Now it is snowing again...and I'm thankful.

That's the news from the Windy City.

No comments: