"Old Friends"

One of my favorite poets/songwriters is Gloria Gaither. She and her husband Bill, have blest the Body of Christ for more than 40 years now with their singing, songwriting, and inspiring ministry of loving people, and nurturing relationships.

One of Gloria's songs that has meant so much to me over the last ten years is "Old Friends." I've posted it here for your perusal:

Old Friends...
After all of these years, just old friends.
Through the laughter and tears, old friends.
What a find! What a priceless treasure!

Old friends like a rare piece of gold
Old friends make it great to grow old:
Til then through it all I will hold to old friends.

Oh God must have known
There'd be days on our own
We would lose our will to go on
That's why He sent friends like you along.

Old friends yes you've always been there.
My old friends: we've had more than our share
Old friends I'm a rich millionaire in an old friends.

A phone call, a letter, a pat on the back
Or a "Hey I just dropped by to say..."
A hand when I'm down
A loan when I just couldn't pay:

A song or a story, a rose from the florist
A note that you happened to send
Out of the blue just to tell me
that you're still my friend...

We've been through some tough times
When we didn't know whether we'd even have one thin dime
But that didn't change you:

And when we were big winners
And everything seemed to be finally going my way
You just cheered me on so glad to be able to say...

Old friends yes you've always been there
Old friends we've had more than our share
Old friends I'm a rich millionaire in an old friends.

--Gloria Gaither--

I just spent four days in Cleveland, TN visiting some folks who have been friends for more than twenty years...or at least that long.

What a blessing! What a treasure the family of God is to me!

All the times that we laughed, cried, teased, ate, and just reminisced, remembering the faithfulness of God to us....

I'm a rich millionaire in old friends...That's for sure.


No comments: