"Purpose-Driven" or "Activity-Driven"?

I've been a Christian since I was 6 years old. I just turned 43 a couple of weeks ago. I have seen just about everything that can be seen in a local congregation, I do believe. I've been blest and privileged to be part of very small congregations (numbering less than 40 people) and very large congregations that numbered in the thousands (usually more than 8,000).

But numbers aren't everything, are they?

Of course not. We look at the New Testament Church, and read about it's empowering in the Book of Acts (following the Resurrection and Ascension of the Lord Jesus Christ), and we see a wonderful church, often separated by localities...and folk who are just as human as we are, some twenty-one centuries later.

I do have a few questions though....

1) Can we equate "activity" with "spiritual growth"?

This particularly concerns me, because so many congregations measure their "spiritual life" by how many activities they are sponsoring--and how exhausted their membership can be with participating in all of those "activities."

I contend we are called "human beings" not "human doings." We see the pattern of the New Church (which was by no means flawless, but nevertheless accomplished the mission of glorifying God) as one of evangelism, fellowship, community, and discipleship. The "witnessing" aspect of the New Testament Church was to the "wonderful works of God" (Acts 1, 2, 3, 4ff) in the life of this newly empowered community of believers. We do see "works"--but those works flowed out of the community, not in spite of it. We are called to be the "community of God"--reflecting the community of the Holy Trinity, even though imperfectly.

In my secular employment, my supervisor has a certain amount of goals that are set before me to attain. Yet, in my progress along the pathway of accomplishment, this same supervisor cares about me as a person. My health (physical, spiritual, and mental) are always considered. My successes are applauded, and my failures are never final.

Why can't the local church be the same way?

If we carefully read the Scriptures, we will discover that God is a "relational" God. He is not just a propositional Deity, unconcerned about His creation.

If we want to emulate Jesus Christ in the local church, then we all need to discover our "relational" purposes---not just our propositional theories.

Sound doctrine and biblical theological positions are important. We must, as A W Tozer (and many others before and after him) once said, "We must think rightly about God our Father."

And if we are to think "rightly" about what the Church should look like, we must think relationally, not just propositionally.

And when we think "relationally" we then discover our purpose. The Westminster Catechism states, "The chief purpose of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

We best glorify Him in relationship with His, and in relationship with other Christians. These relationships are edifying in the "being"--not just the doing.

I have a friend--I consider him a friend--and the only time I hear from this friend is when he needs me to "do something." I rarely ever hear from him otherwise. I'm profoundly saddened by this. But that's the way it seems to be. Of course my perceptions could be wrong.

Unfortunately, from my perspective "our friendship" is strictly "activity-driven." I have no usefulness to this brother, other than the fact that I can "do something." It seems as though once my "utilitarian value" has been exhausted, that I am a throw-away.

That's not the way Christ has designed our "community" to be lived out.

2) How do we become a "community of saints" instead of a "collection of individuals"?

Again, I have to appeal to the New Testament models of the what "community" looks like. We see an intensity of fellowship and "togetherness" in the newly empowered Church (Acts 2, 3, 4). These believers could face anything because they faced these situations together.

Fast-forward some twenty-one centuries later.

How do we become this "community"?

I believe it is done slowly, methodically, and carefully. We come to a place of trust and confidence, first in God Himself, and then in each other, where we feel a sense of belonging and caring. Knowing that we have something important to contribute to this body of believers we call "our church."

Lanny Wolfe, a great songwriter from the 1970s/80s penned some powerful words that have profoundly shaped my view of the "community of saints." Here's what he said:

"When a brother meets sorrow
We all feel his grief.
And when he's passed through the valley
We all feel relieved.
Together in sunshine,
Together in rain.
Together in victory,
Through His precious name."

And yes, we are together in victory. A victory is shallow if it is not "shared."

So what do you think?

No comments: