Pope John Paul II...Pray for him.

As a non-Catholic, I have always admired the vigor and stamina of Karol Wotyla (John Paul II). This son of Poland has revolutionized, in many ways, the (then) rather stagnant face of the Roman Catholic Church during his pontificate which began in the late 1970s.

Known for his sharp intellect, wonderful sense of humor, linguistic abilities, Pope John Paul II is loved by the millions, Catholic and non-Catholic alike. Few religious leaders, with the exception of Dr Billy Graham, has earned the respect and admiration as has the current Bishop of Rome.

I remember reading Crossing the Threshold of Hope (one of his many encyclicals) several years ago, and being absolutely amazed at the clarity and discernment this wonderful Christian possesses in light of contemporary culture.

Dr Billy Graham once labeled the Pontiff as the "greatest pope of my lifetime"--and he has seen many of them, I'm sure.

I remember seeing Pope John Paul II twice during his pontificate.

The first in 1989 when I was privileged to be in Rome (actually Vatican City) and he was doing some type of blessing on the crowd (can't remember the exact event...I was on vacation in Europe, and spent the day at the Vatican).

The second time was in 1993 during World Youth Day in Denver, and along with multiplied thousands of others, I lined the streets along the "parade route" where the Pontiff would be traveling.

It was a special time...and one that I will cherish for a long time.

Even though I have some strenuous disagreements with the denomination that he leads, I have much, much respect for this tender servant of the Lord. A precious Catholic priest once told me, "The Pope is fiercely loyal to Christ. Unfortunately, many Catholics are more loyal to the Pope than they are to Christ....which the Holy Father would not approve of..."

Let's pray for this good, good man.

No comments: