A Justice Harriet Miers?

President Bush has fulfilled his Constitutional duty in sending the nomination of Harriet Miers to the United States Senate for their consideration to fill the seat of retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor--the first woman to ever sit on the United States Supreme Court.

Ms Miers has the confidence of the President of the United States of America.

But sadly some of the "Pharisaical" extremists don't have any confidence in the man they voted into the highest elected office of these "Nifty Fifty" United States.

This dear lady hasn't even had the FIRST hearing yet, and some of the modern-day Pharisees have already loosed a barrage of innuendo and presuppositions that have little, if any, truth to them.

Folks, you cannot have it both ways.

President Bush nominated, and we now have, Chief Justice John G Roberts Jr sitting as the Seventeenth Chief Justice of the United States. He, by all accounts, will do a superb job.

And hopefully so, for years to come.

But this lady--simply because she has refused to "kowtow" to the extreme fringes of the so-called "conservative right" of this nation--is being crucified before she ever has been heard.

From what I've read, I believe she is a stellar candidate, and will be one terrific Justice on the Supreme Court.

I'm personally glad the President did consult 80+ Senators, and listened to his wife as well. We do not need a bruising fight in this nation over such an important position.

From this point on, we should let the Senate Judiciary Committee do its job.

After all, we are paying them to do something other than take foreign trips and long vacations.

1 comment:

Pastor Jeff said...

Hey, Phil, God bless. Just a few words about the whole Miers thing. Don't lump all of us conservatives in one big pile. I'm not sure what you have heard about "extremist" conservatives bashing her. Yes, I've heard the concerns, and while I would never trash this woman, I think there are some genuine concerns many conservatives have. I'll just give you mine. One thing being lauded as a good thing is that there is no "paper trail". While the president may see that as a good thing polictically, to get her confirmed ASAP, I submit that by not having a "paper trail", there is really no oint of reference to know what kind of justice she will turn out to be. I would like to see something, memos, speeches, etc., that would give us a clue. But, we just don't have that. I'm glad she is a born again believer. That makes me glad for her eternal future, but as a judge, we have nothing to go on. I hope and pray that she will be the strict constructionist that Bush has claimed her to be.

Really quick, just out of my own curiosity, what do you consider to be an "extreme conservative"?

God bless, Phil, I enjoy your blog. Be blessed, brother!

Michigan Preacher