3. I am thankful for sleep...

I am about to retire for the evening, and sleep is one of the foremost thoughts on my mind right now...really it is. I remember hearing J E Brisson quote Psalms 127:2 one morning in a sermon, "the LORD gives His beloved sleep..." I've always remembered that....and I try to live by it on a daily/nightly basis.

I did something this afternoon that I rarely ever do: I came home and took a good, long nap. It was about 45 minutes long, and I felt so good when I woke up. I needed that nap.

I am thankful that God so designed our bodies that we MUST bring everything to a halt, and rest. That beautiful four-letter word, "REST".....indeed a lovely, lovely word.

I have very little trouble going to sleep (usually), and within about two minutes of lying down and turning off the reading lights, I am safely transported into "LaLa land." The journey is usually quick, uneventful, and refreshing.

But now, the words of a song come to mind:

"Soon I shall hear a call from heaven's portals, 'Come home, My child, it's the last mile you must trod.' I'll fall ASLEEP and wake in God's new heaven, sheltered safely in the arms of God."

Many, many thanks to the late Dottie Rambo who wrote such powerful songs about Heaven.

But for now, it's time to go to sleep. And as the Apostle Paul said, "If I live it is unto the Lord, and if I die, it is unto the Lord, so whether I live or die, I am the Lord's." (Romans 14:8). I will go to sleep trusting this strong, Almighty, Ever-Faithful God to do as He sees best in my life.

That's definitely something I can find great rest in.

No comments: