"No Strings Attached..."

Well, everyone gets a bit "suspicious" when we hear these three words, don't we? "NO STRINGS ATTACHED..."

Yeah, right. Uh huh..."whatever you say..."

At least that's what most of us think anyway.

I've recently challenged people in my sphere of friendship and influence to live out their "care" with "no strings attached."

Let me explain what I mean:

As Christians, we are called to be the Body of Christ, the family of God....At least that is the meaning of two-thirds of the New Testament that we all claim to read...and believe.

We are told to have the "same care one for another" and to love one another fervently. Every Epistolary writer (James, Peter, Paul, John, Jude--as all the others) in the Scriptures gives us the picture of what the Family of God should look like.

It is to be one of rebuke and correction. And we all need that from time to time.

It is to be one of instruction in righteousness. And we all need that on a regular basis.

It is to be one of "great grace" (Acts 4:33). And we must have His grace to fill everything we do and want to accomplish.

But most of all, the "family of God" are to be people of love and care. That love and care is to be without strings....in other words, LOVE each other when you need something, and LOVE each other when you don't need anything.

Don't love someone simply for what they can do for you. After all, that's not love...not sure what to call it...but "love" ain't on the list...!

I know someone that will call me regularly when they need me to help them with something. And I know I can count on that person to contact me during those times.

But sadly, I never hear from them any other time.

No calls to say, "Hey Phil, just wanted to check in on you brother, and let you know how special you are..."

No calls to say, "Hey Phil, I missed you at ____________ the other day."

Sorta utilitarian at best, I guess.

But is that the message we want to send a "watching world"?

Is it really?

You decide...and let me know.

No comments: