Abusing this drug....

I was watching an interview with someone on public television two nights ago, and the person being interviewed mentioned a phrase that immediately "drew me in." He's somewhat famous because of the family name, but he has had a real battle with drugs, alcohol, and depression.

The phrase he used was "the narcotic of being noticed." It seems that many people have developed a habit of "abusing" this drug....the "narcotic" of being noticed.

Why?

I guess I have my theories...since I've been guilty of such abuse. Not too many years ago, I desperately wanted to be "noticed" for all the "stuff" that I had accomplished, or the talents which I thought I possessed, etc.

Folks are constantly thinking they will be "discovered" or "noticed" for whatever it is they feel themselves worthy of being noticed or discovered.

Time and experience has taught me that being "noticed" isn't so important, in the eternal scope of things. God requires me to do the very "best" that I can do in everything I do, and that HE alone keeps an accurate account of my life. HIS account is far more accurate than the one that I or anyone else can record.

He doesn't miss a thing.

Fame and fortune...or recognition can be a good thing.

But life has to consist of more than just fame, fortune, recognition.

I remember Jesus telling a group of people "A man's life doesn't consist of the abundance of things he possesses."

What happens so often is that we get "noticed"--and being noticed once is never enough.

Never. Then we have to make sure that we are "noticed" again and again.

But then we must ask the question: "How much is enough?"

And a very smart man once answered: "Just a little bit more."

That's greed. Plain and simple.

Sure, I'd love to be recognized as a smart, generous, gracious, and solid person. I'd love to see my name in "lights" or in "print" once or twice...

But in the scope of eternity, what would it matter?

Am I doing all this "stuff" just so I can be noticed?

What about you?

1 comment:

Steve Wright said...

Hi Phil,
Now that is a great thought. I loved it. Now, the question is, Do I have to tell everyone you came up with it when I preach it? (ha ha)

Later my brother
Steve Wright
www.stevewright.info