Thank You, President Bush...

Mr President,

It is no secret that I didn't vote for you in either 2000 or 2004. My conscience would not allow me to cast that ONE ballot for you in either election. However, on the first occasion the voice of the Supreme Court declared you should assume the Oval Office, and the second occasion, the majestic voice of democracy declared that you should remain in that office for another four years. Now, you are preparing to return to "private life." I wish you the best.

You come from a fine heritage. Your father, George Herbert Walker Bush, is one of the finest men to ever live in Washington DC. I was privileged to serve in the United States Air Force while your father was the Commander in Chief. I voted for him in 1988, and again in 1992. We all know the results thereof.

Your mother, Barbara Pierce Bush, has been my hero for as long as I can remember. She reminds me of one Clara Elizabeth Hoover (my paternal grandmother) who raised me. As a matter of fact, she is the "spittin' image" of my grandmother! Her quiet strength, great sense of humor, and devotion to family are a tremendous example to this nation in so many ways.

Your wife, Laura, is the epitome of grace and character. It has been wonderful to have a schoolteacher/librarian at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for the last 8 years. She has been the voice of "reason" and "common sense" to a lot of us Americans, when we've most needed her to be just that. She is not only a beautiful woman, but also a great woman.

And while I have disagreed with you on so many issues--tax policy, and your Iraq non-strategy--you have represented your heritage in a good man. You have the reputation of being a fine husband, a loyal and faithful son, and a great father. In the long run , that is all that really matters.

In our Sunday School class, we've been studying the life of King David, verse-by-verse, from 1 and 2 Samuel. We have seen all that has occurred in David's life: from the field where he was tending his father's sheep to the throne of the nation of Israel. David was a great warrior, but a miserable father.

You, Mr President, have been a great father--from all the accounts we have on record. And in the long run, even though I have disagreed with most of your policies, I fully applaud you for the way you have loved your wife, your parents, and your extended family.

That means more than anything else, in my opinon.

No comments: