Everyone has an appointment...

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many.

I woke up this morning with this very passage (from Hebrews 9) on my mind. Of course, I've heard this all my life--and I've believed it all my life as well. But, for some reason, this morning the reality of it all hit me in the face. With the recent deaths of John Calloway, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson (all famous, wealthy celebrities), it seems that our culture has forgotten that we humans are not the "Designer" nor the "end" of our eternal destiny.

God is.

I was reminded that all the fame, fortune, philanthropy, good works, social graces, and personal privileges in the world cannot save me. Only God can do that! He has designated HIS Son--Jesus Christ--to be the Savior of all who will call on His name, and trust His grace!

But I must "call on His name" and "trust His grace." That's my part. No one can do that for me. I must willingly participate in this process. I can't do it in abstentia. I can't trust "Grandma's salvation" (and I have two godly grandmothers--one already in heaven, and the other one waiting to go there).

God saw that I would need a Saviour, and His Son, Jesus Christ is that Saviour! Buddha, Allah, Confucious, Mohammed, and Reverend Moon can't do for me what Jesus can do--and has already done!

As one of the great songs of the past so wonderfully proclaims, "I come in the merits of Jesus..."

My only merit is that which Jesus Himself has purchased for me. In a time when "God is back" but JESUS is still rejected, I want to loudly proclaim that Jesus still saves! We can still call on Him, believe His word, and trust His grace!

When we do, we can have no fear of our "appointment." And we will have that appointment. And we will be on time.

No comments: