Thirteen Years ago today...

I said "goodbye" to the United States Air Force. After TEN good years, it was time to hang up the uniform--and to face what the future would hold.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I had spent the night with my great friends, John and Laverne Dutkowsky (Laverne was active duty at the time) in Lubbock, Texas. Reese Air Force Base was my "last permanent duty" station...and four years in West Texas was MORE than enough for me.

I had a final breakfast with my great friend, Pastor David McQueen, from Trinity Church in Lubbock. David was (and continues to be) one of my very favorite people.

I flew from Lubbock, Texas to Chattanooga, Tennessee on that fateful day: August 20, 1996. I was headed back to the foothills of the Smoky Mountains so I could embark on the next "phase" of my life: Seminary.

Now, some 20 pounds heavier, and a lot less hair, I can look back and see the faithfulness of God in it all. I'm excited to see what the next 13 years (and hopefully more) will hold.

No comments: