Twenty years ago this month...

I had my very first encounter with the Denver First Church of the Nazarene. (www.dfcnaz.org)

I had just made a permanent change-of-station (PCS) move with the United States Air Force to Lowry AFB, in nearby Aurora, Colorado.

Having been a pretty much lifelong "Pentecostal" I wanted to find a great church where I could become a regular part of the congregation, worshipping God, and serving as needed.

I visited several congregations in the greater Denver area...and just didn't feel at home in any of them. I began to get discouraged.

One Sunday afternoon, I just happened to be reading the Rocky Mountain News, and saw an advertisement for the "Winter Campmeeting" at the Denver First Church of the Nazarene--and the Speer Family would singing....I was gonna be there...

I grew up loving, loving, LOVING the music of the Speers (one of the premier family groups in Southern Gospel Music), and so I had to go.

I wasn't prepared for what would happen to me when I got the Denver First Church facilities that evening.

As soon as I walked into the breezeway, I sensed the Holy Spirit telling me that I was "home" while stationed in the Denver area...that I would not have to search any further for a church family. I had found it..and them. Senior Pastor Doctor Donald Wellman and the entire congregation became my family from then on...

The evening meeting was tremendous. Reverend Jim Diehl was the guest speaker. At the time, Rev. Diehl was the District Superintendent for the Colorado District of the Nazarenes. Some two years later, he would leave the District Superintendent's office and become the pastor of Denver First Church. He now serves as one fhe General Superintendents of the Church of the Nazarene.

I was only part of this congregation for a few months, but these precious, precious people loved and cared about me...and from all indications, still do.

I still have the "Worship in Song" (old Nazarene hymnal) that someone gave me, when I told them I needed a good devotional hymnal to use. I treasure that precious volume.

If you are ever in the Denver area, please visit the Denver First Church of the Nazarene. You will treat yourself to a wonderful blessing.

Tell my friend, Pastor Tim Stearman, that Phil Hoover sent you.

No comments: