When brave Americans die...

One of the things that I have disciplined myself to do over the last few years is to watch the Newshour with Jim Lehrer (I've always loved that show anyway), and particularly at the end of the broadcast when the Newshour staff honors those service personnel who have been killed in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

I am profoundly grateful to the Newshour for honoring these brave men and women who answered the call of duty in the face of danger.

I always read each name carefully, and at the end of the listing I ask the Lord to be near the loved ones who are left behind to grieve this brave person's death.

I served in the United States Air Force for ten years. I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to serve God and country in the military. In hundreds of ways, it was a life-changing experience for me.

I know many people who are serving now, and I pray for them all the time.

As Americans, we owe an infinite debt of gratitude to these people. And in some small way, we must be ready to repay it.

No comments: