"The Pharisee and the Child"

For the next several days, I want to share some of the profound insights of Dr Brennan Manning:

"Pharisaic Judaism comprised a relatively small group of seperated ones who almost two centuries before Christ, in order to preserve the Jewish faith from foreign dilution, had given themselves to lives of vigilant observance of the Mosaic Law. Their lives were one long rehearsal, a symphony orchestra tuning up endlessly by playing tortured variations of the Law.

Before the Jewish exile, when the spirit of the covenant was vibrantly alive, the people felt safe in the shadow of God's love. In the pharisaic period, as the understanding of the Hebrew Scriptures deteriorated, the Jews felt safe in the shadow of the law. Obviously, the gospel of grace presented by the Nazarene Carpenter was an outrage.

The attitude of the pharisee is that keeping the law enamors him to God. Divine acceptance is secondary and is conditioned by the pharisee's behavior. For Jesus the circumstance is diametrically opposite. Being accepted, enamored, and loved by God comes first, motivating the disciple to live the law of love. "We are to love, then, because He loved us first" (1 John 4:19).

Suppose a child have never experienced any love from his/her parents. One day he/she meets another child whose parents show him/her with affection. The first child says to himself/herself: I want to be loved like that too. I have never experienced it, but I'm going to earn the love of my mother and father by my good behavior.

So to gain the affection of his/her parents, this child brushes their teeth, makes their bed, smiles, minds their p's and q's, never pouts or cries, never expresses a need, and conceals all negative feelings.

This is the way of the pharisees. They follow the law impeccably in order to induce God's love. The initiative is theirs. Their image of God necessarily locks them into a theology of works. If God is like the insufferable Nurse Ratchet in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, eager to find fault with anybody and everybody, the pharisee must pursue a lifestyle that minimizes mistakes.

Then, on Judgment Day, he can present God with a perfect slate and the reluctant Deity will have to accept it. The psychology of the pharisee makes a religion of washing cups and dishes, fasting twice a week, and paying tithes of mint, dill, and cumin very attractive.

What an impossible burden! The struggle to make oneself presentable to a distant and perfectionistic God is exhausting. Legalists can never live up to the expectations they project on God for there will always be a new law, and with it a new interpretation, a fresh hair to be split by the keenest ecclesiastical razor.
******************************************************************

From ABBA'S CHILD: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging Brennan Manning (Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 1994).

8 comments:

Darrell said...

Phil,
Darrell Garrett here. Have you REALLY read much of Manning's writings? He has some stuff that sounds good, but if you study him carefully, this man is a false teacher. He is a heretic. I would be very careful endorsing his stuff as "profound insights."
Take time to read him more carefully and endepth. I did, and I no longer read him at all.

Phil Hoover said...

Brennan Manning is not a heretic nor a false teacher. Scholars far more knowledgeable than you, Darrell, can attest to that.

Darrell said...

Phil, many so called scholars say Jesus was not God. Others explain away every miracle. My point is that just because they are a "scholar" does not make them right.
This man is a false teacher. He twists scripture and has called the gospel of Christ "folly". I myself had quoted him in some of my sermons until I read more of his writings and realized that while some of his stuff is brilliant, he still is spreading false teaching. And Phil, I don't need anyone "smarter" than me to tell me that. I can read it and attest to it myself.

Phil Hoover said...

When Christian scholars like Michael Card, Dr Larry Crabb, Jack Hayford and others endorse Brennan Manning, their "endorsements" carry far more weight than your endless faultfinding, DARRELL.

Darrell said...

Phil, why must you always try to make things so personal and act so superior to everyone? I don't care who has endorsed Manning, his "gospel" is a mixture of mystic new age stuff that takes away from the true Gospel. I challenge you to not listen to what ANYONE else says, and read through his writings completely and check him out scripturally, and you will find his glaring errors. This is not an attack on you Phil, and I don't know why you see fit to try to attack me. I said before, Manning has some stuff in his writings that are excellent. However, when it became clear that he preaches a false gospel, I stopped reading him and will speak loudly warning others to read very carefully what he says. Most cults preach 95% truth. It is that little part that makes the difference. And so it is with Manning. He has so much good to say, but he has changed the gospel and exchanged it for a lie.
I pray that you wake up to this reality before you find yourself deceived Phil. You are my brother, and I write this to you to help you see the error in his teaching. You call it "fault finding". Well, I think what I have done is exactly what Paul warned Timothy to do. And you know what? It is fault finding! If a man is preaching, teaching a different gospel, then it is to be exposed!

Phil Hoover said...

Why don't you get off my BLOG space, DARRELL....

You are nothing more than a faultfinder....and that is terribly sad on your part....

Darrell said...

Let's see, and you are doing what with me... Oh, that would be faultfinding, right?

Correct me if I am wrong Phil, but isn't the purpose of a Blog to express your opinion and generate discussion? Are you going to ask everyone who does not agree with you to stay away from your site? If so, then you might as well just get a notebook and pen and keep it to yourself.

Listen Phil, I expressed my opinion. It is not an attack on you, and I cannot see why you choose to act like it is. My challenge to you stands. Read Manning very carefully and prayerfully and you will see what I am talking about. Brilliant man, just deceived.

Phil Hoover said...

Darrell,

I have seen you berate people on other websites. You can take your "stinkin cheese" and do that else where.

I don't mind people disagreeing on this blogspot. However, unless you can provide substantive proof of your cockeyed accusations, please don't do it here. You can go back to Acts-Celerate and do it all you want...