I never thought I would ever....

watch American Idol...but I did.

Last night, as a matter of fact.

And for only one reason.

My friend, Phil Stacey, is one of the contestants on the competition this season.

Phil is an amazing man. Truly, truly amazing.

He is the son and grandson of Church of God ministers. He has a deep and rich heritage in the Kingdom of God. His parents currently pastor the Hendersonville Church of God, right outside of Nashville, Tennessee.

Phil and his wife Kendra are graduates of Lee University--also my alma mater.

Phil is currently serving on active duty with the United States Navy, stationed in Jacksonville, Florida. He and his wife are very active in their local church there. He and Kendra have two beautiful daughters.

I first heard Phil's beautiful voice about 8 years ago when sung "I"ll Be Here" at his cousin Matt's wedding in the Knoxville area. It was just wonderful.

He also has that kind, gracious, and gentle spirit that characterizes so much of his heritage.

Phil, I know you don't have time to read this, but if you do:

I'll vote for you.

And since I'm in Chicago, I'll take the late Mayor Richard Daley's advice:

Vote early and vote often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks for letting us know. That's who I'll root for too.
Gretchen Lavender

ruthrap said...

i hardly ever get to watch it due to work schedule...but when and if I do I will keep an eye out (and ears) for this guy...sounds like he could be a winner!