I was thinking....

What would life be like IF:

1) We knew we could always trust those with whom we have deep, meaningful relationships:

Pastors trusting members
Members trusting pastors
Family members trusting each other
Church members trusting each other.

2) We knew that when a fellow believer tells us something, that we can:

Know that it is the truth--and that no information has been conveniently omitted
Know that "their word is their bond"--no need to double check "the facts."
Know that the "best interests" of all persons involved were being taken to heart.

I guess I've gotten somewhat cynical over the last 15 months. Back in November 2005 I was betrayed and bruised by a very ugly situation in the local church where I was a faithful member and attendee. The senior leadership of that congregation made false statements to me and about me. I can't remember when I've been as hurt and wounded as I was by those actions.

Up until that time I felt that I could trust that pastor with anything, regardless of how personal or "embarrassing" it might be. I confessed things to him that I had never told anyone else.

And yet, for some crazy reason, I was betrayed. I was gossiped about, lied to, and accused.

I still love that congregation and even the leadership there. But I was hurt, and there really was never an apology, or any reasonable explanation for all the "things" that happened.

The law of love was clearly violated. The Body of Christ was bruised, and that hurts me even more than my own personal injuries.

God knows. God sees, and I have to leave it all in His hands.

But it still bugs me from time to time. Goes to show that I really did care, and that it was such a vital part of me.

3 comments:

ruthrap said...

I am sorry that anyone has to experience another member of the church or a pastor betraying their trust....a church is supposed to be a safe place to go..free of ridicule and condemnation...and if we can't trust our brothers and sisters in the Lord...who can we trust? Fortunately, we can trust Jesus ...He knows our hearts and we know that He will be the final judge..not the fools that pass judgment on us from the pews!..I don't mean to offend anyone who goes to church...we are all guilty of passing judgment from time to time...but some do it intentionally to hurt a person in the church and even the Pastor.. and this is wrong. Go to that brother or sister in love and seek to help them, not condemn them!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

This post stirred up quite a bit of emotions in me because I too (as well as my family) have been hurt by the church. I was bitter for a while. But eventually, it made me even more passionate about my call to ministry and my desire to doctor the wounds of others that the church has caused. I thank God now for such an amazing Pastor and staff that I can trust completely, and am careful not to take that for granted.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, Phil, GET OVER IT! I know both sides of the story and you really need to pray to find forgiveness and move beyond this. How do you expect God to use you in any capacity if you are holding on so tightly to this situation? You say no one ever apologized to you. Did you ever consider going to them to mend the hurt. Our Lord taught us to turn the other cheek, not nurse a wound...