"Because I care...."

I was talking with a wonderful, wonderful godly man last night. He is now a retired minister, having served in the pastorate, and in several capacities for his denomination. I've known him for almost 30 years. He is a precious, precious man.

I try to call him about once a week or so, just to check up on him. His precious wife preceded him to Heaven, and he is a bit lonely. As a matter of fact, when I received his Christmas card last year, he had signed both of their names....it brought tears to my eyes.

But this wonderful man said something that hit me like a ton of bricks. We were talking about the pastorate, his years of serving in active/fulltime ministry, and he then stated, "Brother Phil, I never ever went to see someone in need or in the hospital or at their home because it was my job. I always went to see them, or called them because I CARED about them. I loved them, and wanted them to know that I CARED and that GOD CARED."

I was almost speechless! It has been such a long time since I've heard someone say they "cared"...and that was their only motivation!

It made me stop and think, "What is my motivation for all the people in my life? Why do I call these folks? Why do I want to stay in contact with them?" It is because I care!

So, now the question for all of us:

"Are you in relationship with people just because that is what you are being paid to do?"

In my humble opinion, that would be a HORRIBLE way to make a living.

Do you really, really care? How do you show it? How do people know that you are in their lives for the long haul?

I care because God cares...and you will know that God cares because I care.

2 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Phil...you are a blessed man. To have such a mentor is incredible! And, you thought you were ministering to him! :)

I will admit, in all honesty, there were times I ministered to people because I was expected to do so and because they paid me to do it. Normally, it was the people who caused me so much grief, you know the ones. They never said a kind word to me, either to my face or behind my back. Most of the time they were too busy sharpening their knife to stab me.

I quickly learned, that if I ministered to them for any other reason than love or care, I was wrong! And, in truth, I was no better than them. I was allowing my anger to get the best of me and control me.

When I turned that over to the Lord and asked for His help, it was amazing the changes that took place. No, not always in them, but in ME! And, to be honest, I was the one who needed the most changes anyway!

Cameyg said...

Phil,

Amen! And you were just prayed for and given thanks for.

Camey