A nation of "Whiners"...I agree.

Several days ago, former Senator Phil Gramm (R-Texas) made a remark about how we are a "nation of whiners"...and took alot of flack for his comment.

But, alas, he was absolutely correct. We, the people of the United States of America, have indeed become a nation of "whiners". We will whine about anything and everything...just give us a chance....or suggest a topic. Most of the time, we don't even need that much help...we can find something to "whine about" all by ourselves. At least, I am honest enough to admit it.

Of course, anyone who has half an eardrum will constantly hear about how "bad the economy" currently is, and how it's all the fault of the President or Congress or the Federal Reserve or the Japanese or Batman (even though Batman did pretty well this past weekend with his new flick). Could it be that finally we decided that we don't need all the "stuff" that the consuming public is so accustomed to purchasing? Maybe we have reached an unfathomable point of saturation, and the bottomless pit of "consumer lust" does have a landing spot after all?

Yes, I think that gasoline that is more that $4 a gallon is outrageous. But I do remember President Carter warning us about "cheap oil" more than thirty years ago--when I was a teenager, and witnessed the oil shortage firsthand. But it's not the "end of the world." However, listening to people bellyache and moan about the price of petrol--yet some of these same 'whiners' would drive to the bathroom if they could get their car in the house. A really good idea: Learn to walk again, and also learn to use public transportation...both of them are good for you. (I know that public transportation isn't available or accessible to everyone, so I am among the fortunate few here that can rely on it...most of the time).

We tend to whine about the price of food--and we all like to eat. But look at some of our eating habits, and what we waste. I must admit that I am getting MUCH better about this. I am being very careful in how I grocery shop: I will mentally decide when and how I will use every item I buy at the grocery store. I do my best to not buy more than I will use....and I don't have to be a slave to "name brands" either. Yet, I buy what I need, and know I will eat before it spoils...

We tend to whine about our jobs...I'm just very thankful to have one. There are days when everything I touch turns to GOLD. Today is not one of those days. For some crazy reason, everything I've touched today has ROTTED IN MY HANDS! Not a single thing has gone "right" today...but I'm thankful that I have a productive, and mostly enjoyable job.

So, yes Senator Gramm was largely correct. We are indeed a nation of whiners. We need to stop all this whining.

3 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Phil...good post...and I believe you are absolutely correct in your assessment of what the former senator had to say.

So, why did McCain throw him under the bus so fast?

Just once, I'd like Senator McCain take a stand, take whatever flack that comes with it, and say, "Sorry if you disagree with me, but that's just what I think!"

Surely he learned those lessons as a POW!

Phil Hoover said...

I'm not sure why Senator McCain would say such a thing about Senator Gramm...it completely took me by surprise. HOWEVER, Senator Gramm was indeed accurate when he said that this nation whines too much.

And we do.

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Yes we do...

Of course, not you and me...must be all of those Pirates fans that are doing the whining!