Happy Independence Day, everyone!

Wayul,

I'm just a few hours early, and that's alright with me. (I guess it has to be 'alright' since I'm the one doing the writing here, eh?)

I'm very thankful to be an American. I'm so grateful that I was born, raised, and nurtured here in this place called the United States of America. This is indeed the "land of the free" and very much so, the "home of the brave."

Of course, those who keep saying this is a "free country" obviously haven't looked at their pay stubs lately! And with energy prices soaring through the roof, it's anything BUT free in the foreseeable future.

Yet, there is no place like America. I've been privileged to travel in 34 countries on 4 continents, and have seem some absolutely breathtakingly marvelous sights. Some of these places were "distant dreams" from my childhood/teenage/college years. And just stepping on the ground of places like Seoul, South Korea and Budapest, Hungary and Bologna, Italy--all just a dream hidden in my heart many years ago.

But there is always the thrill of being back in the "nifty Fifty." Just something about when the plane touches down on American soil. Just something very special, very precious about looking out across the "fruited plains" of this continent, and knowing that "I'm home."

But even more important, is the fact that knowing while I was born an American, that "this land" is not my final home.

I really do have a citizenship in a land "Whose Builder and Maker is God" (Hebrews 11). That's my final home.

No comments: