What should I do?

This has troubled me for a day or two now. Let me see if I can lay all the information (in an understandable, coherent manner) out for you. I really do need some feedback on this one.

I have a friend...we'll call him Mark...he and I have been friends for more than eight years now. We can became good friends shortly after we both arrived here in the Chicago area. He is considerably younger than myself. A fine Christian, and just a good all around person.

We've been through a lot together. He's stayed in my home on two different occasions for a good length of time, and I was delighted to have him there. He knows more about me than most of my closest friends know about me. I've shared things with him that I have never shared with most people.

A few years ago, my friend got married, had a child (#2 is on the way), and started pursuing his dream of going to the mission field in full time ministry.

He lives out in the suburbs...but easily within a 30-45 minute commute.

He has basically ignored me for the last nine months. Pretended as though I either didn't exist, or just wasn't important enough to stay connected with...or maybe a combination of other things. The last time I saw him was at an event where I wound up being the pianist for the evening...completely unplanned...because the scheduled prepaid musician never showed up.

Ever since that time, I've almost been a non-entity.

I received an email (a couple weeks ago) telling me of his ordination examination at his local church...and how he wanted me to be there if at all possible....I received the EMAIL late one Saturday night...and the event was the very next day...and I already had obligations that couldn't be changed. He has all of my contact information (phone numbers, etc). I'd like to believe this was an oversight...but I'm having a hard time convincing myself of that.

His formal ordination into professional ministry is this Sunday, September 6th. In a very roundabout way, I've been invited to attend the ceremony. That means I'll have to get on the METRA, go out to the suburbs, attend a ceremony, and then come home. This was a last-minute, roundabout invitation that I received...

I'm very tempted to not go to the ceremony at all. While I love my friend dearly (I really, really do), I'm beginning to feel as though I'm disposable, and that I should let him "move on"--in other words, find the nearest "exit" out of his life. This possiblity causes me pain beyond description.

Or I could go to the ordination ceremony, keep my mouth shut, smile warmly, get back on the train, and return back to the city.

I'm just not sure. But I've got to make a decision soon.

1 comment:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

My personal "O": I would do all i can to attend the ordination. Are you sure his wife is not putting the kabosh on the friendship? Perhaps there is a misunderstanding that he perceives that really never happened (at least you don't think so). Plus, to do this would heap coals of fire on his head. In my warped world, to be called into ministry and yet have hard feelings toward someone does not compute. Give him the chance to see your support of him and if he turns away you will know you have done what God has asked you to do. My .02 worth.