A blast from the past...

For some wonderful reason this great song from my childhood came to my heart this morning. I was actually showering, when these words came to my mouth:

Hear the blessed Saviour
Calling the oppressed
"O ye heavy ladened,
Come to Me and rest.
Come, no longer tarry
I your load will share
Bring Me every burden
Bring me every care."

"Come unto Me
I will give you rest!
Take My yoke upon you,
Hear Me, and be blest!
I am meek and lowly
Come and trust My might!
Come, My yoke is easy,
And My burden light."

I can well remember this wonderful song, written by Charles P Jones, being sung in our country church back in north Alabama, more than thirty years ago.

That was back when we really did believe that we could "take our burdens to the Lord and leave them there."

But now, in 2007, I still hear the Savior say "Come unto Me, I will give you rest...Take My yoke upon you, HEAR ME and be blest!"

When my heart is heavy, and I'm falling beneath the load, I need to remember these precious words, and this precious promise. And even more, I need to trust the ONE who made the promise in the first place.

So do you!

4 comments:

K E Alexander said...

Hey Phil, This is another voice from your past...Kim Alexander (Corky's wife). Great, very honest, blog. I'd like to talk to you about something. Email me at kalexander@cogts.edu. Also see my blog at kealexander.blogspot.com and Corky's at corkyalexander.blogspot.com

ruthrap said...

don't remember the song..but it's a good one! and I hope you are blessed by your decision about your job choice!

K E Alexander said...

Hey Phil,

Got your comments, not your email! Just in case, its kalexander@cogts.edu

Thanks,

Kim

Darrell said...

Hey Phil, thanks for this one. One of the dear old saints that I have pastored, used to sing this as a special all the time. I loved hearing Brother Proctor sing any time, but especially this song. I have an old cassette tape of him singing it, that I have about worn out.
I used the lyrics to this song in that precious man's funeral. It will always be very special to me.
Thanks again!
The Dawg