Congratulations, Senator Obama!

The junior senator from the great state of Illinois, Barack H Obama Jr, has won the Democratic primary for the party's nomination to be President of the United States.

While I stated my "concerns" about this candidacy months ago (right here on my blog and elsewhere), I do want to congratulate my Senator on his accomplishment thus far.

Senator Obama has indeed "made history." He is now the first non-Caucasian candidate/party nominee for the Oval Office. He has every reason to be proud of this accomplishment. So do his supporters.

I do not plan to vote for him in the November presidential election, however. I simply do not believe that he has two things which are desperately needed, in my opinion:

First, experience and knowledge in the realm of foreign policy. After eight disastrous years of the Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld regime, I'm not sure this nation or the world can take another "four years" of "on the job training" with a President who knows little, if anything, about successful execution of America's foreign policy. While I believe George W Bush to be a fine man, he has been absolutely horrible (again, my personal opinion) with this nation's foreign policy.

Second, experience and knowledge in the realm of military policy. The Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld triad basically destroyed any sense of "military" readiness and execution of policy that we once possessed. Whom a possible President Obama would select as the Secretary of Defense would be just as important as his choice of Secretary of State, in my opinion. But then again, no one would ever be as awful as former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

Again, congratulations, Senator Obama!

No comments: