11. I am thankful that GOD LOVES ME.

Listening to Paul Washer (www.tenindictments.com) tonite, I have been profoundly reminded of how blessed and fortunate and RICH I am to know that the Sovereign God of the universe loves me. He really, really does love me.

You see, I grew up with no parents in my life...or should I say no "consistent parents" in my life. My biological "producers" abandoned each other, shortly after my birth...and then abandoned me. My paternal grandmother raised me...and the LORD Himself made sure that I survived.

I was so loved by God that He drew me to Himself through His Son, Jesus when I was just a very young lad. On a Tuesday night at the Greenfield Church of Christ in rural Madison County, Alabama I came to Jesus...just as I was...a young kid...but realizing that I needed a Saviour. Jesus was that Saviour then...and He is still that Saviour today, more than 40 years later.

Psychologists tell us that our "view of God" is initially formed by our relationship with our earthly fathers. Mine wasn't formed that way...because my earthly father was never there...except when he would occasionally "drop by" for a few minutes. I soon learned that my Heavenly Father wouldn't just "drop by" for a few minutes. My paternal great-grandmother Brannum taught me a song when I was just a young, young child--and it was about God. Some of the most precious words I've ever heard, and that I have ever learned are these:

"And He walks with me, and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own!
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known."

Such simple words, and a simple song. But for this young kid, it was profound truth that my 105-years old Great-Grandmother wanted me to always remember. I can't begin to count the times the Holy Spirit has reminded me that God is walking with me...and that I belong to Him.

When I felt so insecure (and sometimes...many times still do), this loving Father God says to me, "Let's walk and talk...I still love you."

I'm thankful for those times.

No comments: