8. I am thankful for CELL PHONES

Okay, I'll admit it. I remember when we had the "dial phone" consoles sitting on our nightstands, and the "dial phone" attached to the wall somewhere in the kitchen. And then we graduated to "touchtone" phones....

And now, it seems like EVERYONE has a cell phone...even some people who shouldn't (but that is another post for another day). I first saw these "wonderful items" about ten years ago when I first moved to the Windy City. I was downtown in the LOOP, and saw people walking around seemingly talking to themselves...I was certain that one city couldn't possibly have THIS MANY "mentally unstable" people...and then someone explained the "earpiece" and the cell phone technology to me....back in the Fall of 2000. Almost ten years ago.

I swore I'd never be so vain as to have a "cell phone" with me at all times. Well, I must admit that I am addicted to my "vanity"...and my cell phone goes everywhere with me, 99.99% of the time.

I am thankful for CELL PHONES because I can pick up my phone (which is never more than 2 feet from me 24 hours a day, seven days a week) and call just about anyone I want to talk to...or at least leave a message. Or, I can be "really post-modern" and send a text message...

I remember the days of "public lines" versus "private lines" and how the ringing would be so loud, it could wake the dead. Yes, we've come a very, very long way.

My cell phone goes EVERYWHERE with me. I can put it on "silent" or "vibrate"...or just about any other setting that I choose. I can be connected almost as quickly as I can open my eyes, and get my fingers to digitizing. Maybe that is just a bit "too connected"--but you get the point.

So yes, I am thankful for cell phones.

No comments: