22. I am thankful for DOWN TIME...

I know far too many completely FRENZIED people. Always working, always entertaining, always going, always serving, always "doing"....just "always" something or another....

I used to be one of those people. But lately, I'm not among that "cast of characters" for the time being.

"Down time" is a precious, precious gift God intends for us to have...it is our for the taking....but it's always up to us.

There is nothing holy or spiritual about being "constantly tired" or perpetually exhausted....and I learned this lessons the hard way. When I was close to a nervous breakdown (about 12 years ag0), I discovered that I didn't have to be at every single activity of my local church, and every extra-activity of graduate school, and accept every invitation that was made....in other words, the WORLD would survive without me "constantly being there"....but I might not, if I didn't discover some "down time"---and do it rather quickly.

Now, I'm just thankful for the "down time"....the times when I can "detox" from all the "busy-ness" that can crowd out life.

I enjoy staying active and busy....but now I want all the "activity" and the "busy-ness" to serve a purpose other than just "taking up time."

The Scriptures tell us to "number our days" and "apply our heart to wisdom"....and sometimes the wisest thing I can do is take some "down time."

No comments: