16. I am thankful for Refrigerators...

It is no secret that the "Food Network" is probably my very favorite thing on Cable Television...thus, I do not have "cable television" in my home....but I do watch every possible "food show" that comes on all the "free channels", particularly PBS.

And I have identified with the old joke, "The only LIGHT in my life is the one in the refrigerator..." Thank the LORD for refrigerators.

But, in the interest of honest disclosure, I must say that I have always had this "thing" with the largest appliance in the kitchen: the most blessed refrigerator.

I remember, as I was growing up, that we kept most of the "food stuff" in two places: the cabinets in the kitchen (usually out of my reach, also) and the refrigerator. I learned early on that one MUST keep butter, milk, cheese, sour cream (notice the "dairy" theme) and all meats in the refrigerator.

Of course, I can remember my sainted Grandmother Hoover (now in heaven for almost 18 years) telling me how the "ice box" had literal blocks of ice to keep the food stuff cool and edible. (I've never understood why we don't just say "eat-able"...but I'll surrender to the tyranny of good grammar.) I"m glad those days are over...REALLY glad those days are over....

I look in my refrigerator now, and see all kinds of "interesting" things: Tomato paste that I opened about two months ago--now with mold on it; the four different kinds of Polish mustard that I have in the door (and all of them are YUMMY); the three different kinds of BBQ sauce I have in the door (I usually put BBQ sauce on my baked AND fried potatoes); and then there is the "healthy stuff"--the dietary police would have no reason to give me more than a "simple warning" ticket (most of the time, any way).

There is the lemonade (sugar free, and calorie free, just as advertised); the two dozen eggs that I will eventually use; the gallon of milk that I am trying (with all my might) to use before it "clabbers" and all the other stuff. Down in the vegetable drawer: two bags of carrots, some cauliflower, broccoli, and some left over onion in one of those plastic grocery bag thingies...

Oh, but BLESS THE LORD for the automatic icemaker. I have always wanted an AUTOMATIC ICEMAKER. God is so good! Never, not ever (well as long as I live in this same apartment) will I have to put those tedious ice trays in the freezer, and wait for them to "make ice." I marvel at God's creation...and that of Amana...in that order, I might add.

And yes, there is the frozen pie crust that has been in my freezer since Thanksgiving 2008...maybe I should either use it or just throw it away. And in the freezer door, there is the ice pack (that can also be used as a "hot pack") that I used on my shoulder January-March when I was doing "physical therapy" twice a week. That "life saver" cost me $9 at WalGreens...I'm not ABOUT to throw it away.

And I haven't even described all of my roommate's stuff in the blessed Stainless Steel.

No comments: